Sunday, July 31, 2011

Communication.

Communication.

What does that mean exactly?  I had to google it to see what the "officials" say.

com·mu·ni·ca·tion   [kuh-myoo-ni-key-shuhn]

–noun
1.  the act or process of communicating; fact of being communicated.
2.  the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, or signs.
3.  something imparted, interchanged, or transmitted.

The first result according to google is wikapedia.  I tend to skip over that since it can be unreliable depending on the sources, etc.  So I went right on down to dictionary.com and found three perfect definitions.  My favorite is the second one..... the imparting or interchange of thoughts, opinions, or information by speech, writing, or signs.  


You may be wondering why this topic is on my mind tonight.  Eli and I had dinner tonight after church and got talking or communicating about this.  We talked about the importance of communicating in general.  


I feel that I am usually a good communicator.  In fact, sometimes I feel as though I may communicate TOO MUCH.  Relationships require excellent communication.  That is a given.  


My family struggles from a disease called LOCA.... Lack of Communication Always.  We all assume something (insert "assume" joke here) and the assumptions lead to disaster.  I don't want to inherit this disease, so I am going to be working on improving my communication skills too.


Which takes me back to the favorite part of the definition of the word communication.  I absolutely love that it mentions three different ways we can interchange information or communicate; through speech, writing or signs.  When I was in school, my mom would frequently write a little note on my napkin in my lunchbox.  That's communication through writing.  I love that.  


The other important part of the definition is to notice that it is a noun.  Which is funny because a noun is a person, place, or thing.  I guess communication is a thing.  However, the act of communicating is definitely a verb...an ACTION!!!  

communicating
-verb
to express thoughts, feelings, or information easily or effectively.
 

In order to effectively love one another, we need to communicate...through speech, writing or signs.  Can you think of other ways to communicate???


xoxo
pt 

4 comments:

  1. is a kiss or hug considered communicating?! :) I think so...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I was just going to post about communicating through physical touch, and I see another comment was already posted about this!
    I hate how much we text as a society.  It's wonderful for #constantcontact and makes me feel close to my loved ones who live far away, but it's so easy to become lazy and only communicate through writing.
     
    Something I learned from my parents was the importance of physical contact, and offering a hug in greeting or parting is always a good way of communicating your feelings towards that person. A hug can go a long way after a difficult conversation or miscommunication.
     
    But maybe that's another blog post?  About ways to express love?  :) 

    ReplyDelete
  3. sb, I would love to read a blog post about ways to express love!

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is cool didn't know you were a blogger. I'm a loud mouth communicator.

    ReplyDelete